Monday, October 15, 2007

Why I Am A Republican Protester

" A conservatism that does not practice restraint, humility, and good stewardship—especially of the natural world—is not fundamentally conservative. "
-Rod Dreher

Those who knew me ten years ago as a conservative political firebrand would get quite a chuckle upon learning that I am now working on a grassroots effort to fight suburban sprawl! Before moving to Goochland two years ago, I worked five years in Washington on some highly controversial and emotionally charged issues. I was worn out and had no interest at all in becoming politically involved locally. But reading Rod Dreher's book "Crunchy Cons" opened my eyes to some things about my political past that forced me to examine my motives and stated beliefs in a radically different way. Dreher is a committed conservative who found himself increasingly at odds with the form of conservatism that had come to dominate national politics. Dreher realized that he was a "crunchy conservative" (read article):

"In the crunchy-con view, right-wing indifference to natural beauty extends to the man-made world. Today's conservatives don't say enough about the importance of aesthetic standards. Ugly suburban architecture, lousy food, chain restaurants, bad beer, and scorn for the arts are defended by many rank-and-file Republicans as signs of populist authenticity, as opposed to the "elitist" notion that aesthetics matter. In previous generations, it was taken for granted among conservatives that cultivating taste was a worthwhile, even necessary pursuit in building civilization. Nowadays, talking like that in front of a number of right-wingers will get you denounced as a snob."

What is surprsing to me is how many of my longtime conservative friends agree with Dreher at varying levels. Only one of my friends has accused me of "going wobbly." Indeed Dreher has been written off by some for being a traitor, but this stuff really hit home with me:

"A child who grows up in a neighborhood built for human beings, not cars, may think of man's relation to his world differently from one raised amid the throwaway utilitarianism of strip-mall architecture. One's sensitivity to and desire for beauty, and its edifying qualities of order, harmony, "sweetness and light," has consequences for the character of individuals and ultimately for civilization. It's perilous to forget that."

I challenge all conservatives to think about this, especially politically conservative Christians. We need to think about what God meant when He gave us dominion over all the earth and pray about what it means to us and our children.

(posted by Jim Hale)

No comments: